by Lea Katrina Canizares | February 21, 2023
Silliman University is an institution known for its strong commitment to environmental sustainability. Understanding the responsibility as stewards of creation, daily actions of students should also reflect on the university’s lifelong mission. Eco-friendly hygiene is the practice of adopting environmentally conscious habits and products in our daily hygiene routines. This concept is gaining popularity as people are becoming more aware of the impact their actions have on the environment. The following are some ways in which students can incorporate eco-friendly practices into their hygiene routines:
- Shampoo and conditioner bars. The plastic waste from countless shampoo and conditioner bottles and sachets is an ever-growing pile. A simple switch to shampoo and conditioner bars that work just as well as the liquid version can be life changing. They are much easier to pack and bring along for travel too! They are available in several options, such as: hair fall control, oily and damaged hair, anti-dandruff, and several more.
- Refilling stations. Stores like Ritual in Dumaguete offer refillable liquid soap. Simply refilling your container once it is empty rather than buying a whole new one is a great practice to incorporate. This even applies to more than just hygiene products, ingredients like flour, salt, and baking powder are also refillable.
- Go for menstrual cups as your sustainable period partners. Women mostly spend lots of pesos on sanitary pads and tampons which can unfortunately take about a hundred years to decompose. Menstrual cups, as opposed to disposable period items, are environmentally friendly and reusable as they are made of silicone and can last up to 12 years.
- Scared of menstrual cups? Cloth pads might be the answer. For women who would rather not have to use a menstrual cup, cloth sanitary pads are a great option. These are pads that usually come with a cloth lining that is soft and breathable, and usually snap closed to attach to underwear. Cloth pads do not expose the intimate areas to harmful chemicals that disposable napkins and tampons do.
- Practice water conservation: Students can conserve water by taking shorter showers, turning off the tap when brushing their teeth, and reporting any leaks to maintenance.
- Choose eco-friendly personal care products: Students can opt for personal care products that are made from natural, biodegradable ingredients and packaged in environmentally-friendly materials such as cloth makeup remover pads, loofahs, and earwax removers. The university town of Dumaguete has a few eco-friendly shops for personal hygiene products like Lipay Mundo Co. where students can buy all-natural and plastic-free body essentials for refill.
By incorporating these eco-friendly practices, students can play a critical role in promoting sustainability on their campus and in their communities. They can also develop habits that will stay with them for a lifetime, helping to ensure a cleaner and healthier planet for future generations.